- 1-1/2 cups boiled pigeon peas, drained (keep liquid)
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 4-1/4 cups of water including stock from peas
- 2 oz of vegetable or olive oil
- 2 slices of bacon, (optional) 1/2 diced
- 1 large onion
- 3 oz of tomatoes paste
- 1 tsp. of browning sauce
- 1 tsp dried whole thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. of our Bahamian spice salt
- Black pepper
- Bahamian Hot Pepper Tonic or Island peppers to taste
- In a 2 quart saucepan, heat oil, sauté the bacon (optional) for a few minutes
- add onion and thyme and continue to sauté adding the tomato paste.
- Pour in water
- add the peas, browning sauce, spice salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Add the hot peppers for more zest
- stir in the rice.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Lower heat and adjust seasonings to taste
- Over low heat, cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6